Skip to content

Graduate Preparation Program


Welcome to EWU Graduate Studies! We offer affordable graduate programs from Addiction Studies to Urban Planning.

Apply by going directly to the online application. However, please familiarize yourself with the specific program requirements before submitting your application.

Top Navigation

Main Navigation

  • EWU Home
  • Office of Graduate Studies
  • International Graduate Students
  • Graduate Preparation Program
  • Main Content

    EWU offers alternatives for prospective international students who do not meet the English proficiency requirements for admission. One of these for graduate students is the Graduate Preparation Program ("Grad Prep").

    Grad Prep Basics

    Steps to Enroll in Grad Prep

    1. Submit a complete application to Graduate Studies by following the guidelines on our International Graduate Students page.

    2. Submit any additional application materials required by your specific graduate program. You can usually find these on your program's website.

    3. EWU will advise you about enrolling in Grad Prep depending on your English language proficiency at the time you apply.

    Visa (I-20) and Financial Information for Grad Prep

    Current Financial Statements

    To receive an I-20 visa for Grad Prep, send EWU a current financial statement (no more than six months old) showing the U.S. funds to support study at EWU for two quarters of Grad Prep. See the ELI costs and the financial requirements for an I-20 visa here.

    If you successfully complete Grad Prep and are fully admitted into an EWU graduate program, you will need a new I-20 visa for your graduate program. EWU requires a current financial statement showing the necessary funds for 12 months of graduate study: $45,000 US.

    English translations of all financial statements are required. Statements of financial support from an embassy, scholarship agency, or source other than the applicant's funds or those of an immediate family member must be sent in an original letter from the funding source.

    Funding for Graduate School

    Graduate Service Appointments (GSAs) are a common way for students to receive help paying for a graduate program. If you receive a GSA, it will provide a tuition waiver that reduces your tuition cost for your graduate program. GSAs often also come with a quarterly stipend, which is money you may use to help with your living expenses (for example: housing, food). International students are eligible and encouraged to apply for a Graduate Service Appointment (GSA).

    Please contact the English Language Institute for further information about Grad Prep.

    Contact Information

    Graduate Studies
    206 Showalter Hall
    Cheney, WA 99004

    phone: 509.359.6297
    fax: 509.359.6044

    Footer Navigation

    Text Only Options

    View the desktop version of this page.