Skip to content

General Student Information


We are pleased you decided to visit us, and hope you might come in person sometime soon. Our department is friendly and attentive to students' needs, and it is easy to get acquainted with other students, staff, and faculty.

Top Navigation

Main Navigation

  • EWU Home
  • College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
  • Departments
  • Biology
  • General Student Information
  • Main Content

    If you are a Biology Major we strongly encourage you to join our canvas course.  This course site is a communication tool that will provide you with information about curriculum, course schedules, research seminars, internship and scholarship announcements, procedures and deadlines.  Please see Lisa Williams, the department secretary for information on joining this site.  

    The links below provide information and instructions that will help streamline some processes for biology majors and students taking biology courses.

    Admision and Graduation Requirements to the Department of Biology
    Declare Your Major
    Assigned Biology Advisor
    Biology Quarterly Schedules
    Registering for Biology Courses
    Prerequisite Overrides
    Releasing Holds
    Maximum Class Size Met
    Special Course Approval
    Applying for Graduation

    Admission and Graduation Requirements to the Department of Biology

    1.      Complete the following courses
                a.      MATH 141 with >2.0
                b.      BIOL 171 with >1.7
                c.      BIOL 172BIOL 270 with >2.0.
    2.      Pay nonrefundable fee to cover costs of assessment testing.
    3.      Complete Major Declaration form and be assigned to Biology faculty advisor.
    4.      Meet with Biology faculty advisor.

    Major Requirements for Biology

    Upon declaring biology as a major each student should meet with an advisor as soon as possible. Students should plan to complete BIOL 171BIOL 172BIOL 173 and BIOL 270CHEM 151CHEM 152CHEM 153 and the university English and departmental mathematics requirements in the first two years of study. Required 300-level coursework should be completed by the end of the third year. Capstone and advanced elective courses are ordinarily taken in the senior year. A minimum of 50 credits of upper biology courses are required. Only 5 credits of BIOL 399 or BIOL 499 and 5 credits of BIOL 395 or BIOL 495 will be allowed toward the electives for the BS in Biology, General Option. The following biology courses will not fulfill elective requirements: BIOL 100BIOL 232BIOL 233BIOL 234BIOL 235BIOL 390.

    Those students planning graduate study are encouraged to take courses in physics, organic chemistry, calculus, statistics and a directed study (research) course in biology.

    Graduation Requirements

    1.      Have a cumulative GPA ≥2.0 for all courses in student's curriculum in Biology. 

    2.      Complete the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Major Field Test for Biology.

    Declare Biology As Your Major:

    Come to SCI 258 and speak with Secretary Senior, Lisa Williams who will help you complete a Major Declaration Form and identify an appropriate faculty advisor. Your assigned advisor may need to meet with you prior to signing the form. Once signed and returned to the department secretary (who will forward to Records & Registration), you are officially a biology major.

    Your student file will be kept in the Biology Office. You may come to the office and check your file out at any time. Please return your file when you are done in case a professor or your advisor needs to review it.

    If you have an advising appointment, please pick up your file prior to your meeting to assist your advisor. After your appointment please return the file as soon as possible.

    Back to Top


    Biology Professors are advisors in their specialty. (Click for the list of advisors based on subject/specialty.) Each advisor schedules their own appointments. Please see our directory for professors' contact information. You may contact them by email, telephone, or wait for office hours. 

    Back to Top

    Registering for Biology Courses:

    Students can register for most Biology courses on Eaglenet. Exceptions that may prevent Eaglenet registration are for prerequisite deficiencies, advising and other holds, major declaration, maximum class size is reached (class is full), or special permission is required. Here is some information that may help overcome registration problems.

    Prerequisite Deficiencies (Registration Hold):

    Prerequisites are courses you are required to take prior to registering for a class (although, some prerequisites may be taken concurrently). Prerequisites are identified on Eaglenet and in the quarterly bulletin. If you have not satisfied the course prerequisites, Eaglenet will not permit you to register for that course. If you are a transfer student and have completed equivalent prerequisites at another institution, Eaglenet may not recognize equivalency and indicate that prerequisites have not been met. In either case:

    Note: The Biology secretary may only override prerequisite holds for Biology courses only. For courses in other departments, students will need to go to that department to have the hold released. 

    Back to Top

    Advising Holds:

    Eaglenet may not allow some students to register for any courses until they have an advising hold released. Generally, this applies to undeclared freshmen and transfer students and requires that you declare Biology as your major and see your assigned advisor. In addition, the secretary will need a completed and signed Biology Registration Clearance form (see above section).

    Other holds may prevents students from registering. Check with your advisor or the Biology secretary for information on how to get the hold released.

    Back to Top

    Class Maximum Met (Unable to Register):

    Eaglenet will not allow anyone to add a course if the class is full. Class size is based on several factors and often cannot be overridden. If you need a particular course for graduation or other extreme circumstance, in some cases the instructor MAY authorize course size overload. You will need to contact the instructor.   If the instructor will not allow course size overload, your next option is to regularly check Eaglenet to see if someone drops, then immediately register for the course. 

    Back to Top

    Independent/Directed Study (Permit Required to Register):

    Students may not use Eaglenet to register for special permission courses: Independent/directed study, internships, thesis, and other by-permission only courses.

    Back to Top

    Applying for Graduation

    Two quarters before graduation you must complete the Graduation Application/ Major-Minor Requirements Approval Form.

    This form is available: in the Biology Main Office, SC 258, and on the Canvas site module, on the EWU website ( 

    General information about the graduation application process and due dates for applications can be found at:

    All other University requirements will be listed on the checklist form which will be sent (email) to you after the major minor form has been evaluated.

    Completing and submitting the Form:

    Follow the directions that accompany this form. Fill out the top completely. The email that is listed is the email where you will receive the evaluation from the graduation office. Anything that still needs to be completed or any issues will be sent to the email listed on the Graduation Check Sheet.  To be able to address any issues in time it is essential you receive the Check Sheet.

    The address is where you want the diploma mailed once you have graduated. If you don't know where you are going to be, put your parent's or other permanent address so it doesn't have to be forwarded.

    List the courses in the sequence that they appear in the curriculum information (catalog, advising guide, course check sheet) and NOT in order that you took them [this makes it much easier for your advisor to check your application for completeness.].Put all courses for the major on the form with the number of credits for the course and the grade received. If you plan to take the course in either of the next two quarters instead of a grade put the quarter it will be taken.

    If you took an approved equivalent course at a different institution, list the Eastern course, then put an = and on the next line list the course number from the other institution and the initials of the institution, the number of credits at the other institution and  the grade received. This information allows the graduation office to check your transcripts.

    Once you have completed the form:

    What to do if you have to change a course once you have submitted your Application for Graduation or if you change your date of graduation.

    If you need to change one of your courses after you have submitted your Application for Graduation or need to change your date of graduation:  1) have the proposed change approved by your advisor, 2) have your advisor send an email to the Chair of the Department of Biology that includes your name, student ID #, course number that had been listed on your application, and course number that will be substituted or change of graduation date. Make sure that your advisor cc's you on this email. If the Chair approves, this email will be forwarded to the Graduation Evaluator. You will be cc'd on this email, provided you had been cc'd on the email to the Chair.

    Things to be aware of when you receive your graduation check list back from the Graduation Evaluator.

    Back to Top

    Contact Information

    Department of Biology
    258 Science Building
    Cheney, WA 99004

    phone: 509.359.2339

    Footer Navigation

    Text Only Options

    View the desktop version of this page.