Below is a list of all the halls, buildings and facilities that make up the EWU Cheney campus. With each listing, you can find a brief history of the building and some information about its facilities and use.
The Aquatic Center was completed in 1981. It was the fifth and final phase of the Sports and Recreation Center. The pool is open to EWU students, faculty and staff as well as the general community for open lap swim. However, there are many special activities that utilize the facility on a regular basis. The L-shaped pool measures 25 meters x 25 yards. The shallow end is 4 feet and the deep end is 18 feet. The balcony is capable of holding 100 spectators. There is also a 3-meter springboard and a 1-meter springboard.
The art building was completed in 1971 and sits in the center of the EWU fine arts complex. The Art Department houses the latest technologies for the creation of digital art with a 17 station Macintosh Digital Lab, a fully equipped and recently renovated ceramics and sculpture studio, a recently updated photography dark room, as well as studios for painting, drawing, and printmaking. Students also have a unique space which may be reserved for the creation of installation works. There is a newly renovated lecture hall with the ability for multimedia presentations, as well as additional classroom spaces for art history and art education courses.
Eastern Washington University has a long and proud tradition of US Army ROTC instruction dating back to 1952. In 1956, Cadet Hall was constructed with funds provided by the United States Army. Over the next 40-plus years, more than 1,000 Eastern cadets would earn their commission as officers in the United States Army. Cadet hall also houses Eastern's Military Science Program, which offers both two-year and four-year ROTC scholarships.
Cheney Hall was built in 1967 and was named after Benjamin Pierce Cheney, who helped establish the university in 1882. It initially held the Industrial Arts classes, but it now serves as classrooms for a variety of different programs.
The Cheney Normal School Heritage Center was originally known as the Jore (pronounced like jury) Schoolhouse. It opened for classes five miles west of Newport, Washington in 1905 and stayed open for 24 years, until 1929. During that time, it served as the school for all the Jore children as well as the children in the surrounding area. At least one student, Ivan Troyer, traveled 5 miles by horseback to attend.
During its time as a functioning one-room school, it had separate boys and girls entrances, a two-seat outhouse, and a horse stable. The school also had a galvanized roof and a concrete foundation, which helped it to survive all this time relatively intact.
The building symbolizes Eastern's historical significance as a teacher preparation institute - many of the early graduates would have taught in a school like this. The building also provides a venue for seminars and presentations related to the history and development of education in the Inland Empire and the Pacific Northwest, a center for local and regional oral history where students, teachers, scholars, and community members can share, record, and preserve traditions, stories and records of the past, as well as a permanent setting to house and display historical one-room schoolhouse artifacts.
The Communications Building is part of the Fine Arts Complex and was built in 1970. It houses the Communication Department, which teaches communication studies. The department also is known throughout the United states for its program that helps people who stutter.
Construction began in September 2003 on the new facility designed to house Eastern's School of Computing and Engineering Sciences and was completed in time for the opening of fall quarter 2005 classes. The four-story, concrete-and-steel framed facility, anchored by a multi-story atrium is conveniently located on Washington Street on the western perimeter of Eastern's Cheney campus, across from the EWU Sports and Recreation Center. The eastern side of the building is located across the lawn from the JFK Library.
The building features expanded capacity for course offerings with state-of-the-art classrooms, fully equipped, 21st century laboratories including Cyber Security, Hardware, Software, Digital, Materials, Thermal Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Robotics, Multimedia, Visual Communication, PC and Mac, a machining center equipped with the latest computer controlled machining devices, and a "Gallery of Technology" providing a visual aid expressing applied technology in use.
Hargreaves, originally built in 1940, once served as the main campus library until the construction of the John F. Kennedy Library in 1968. A three-year construction project, completed in 2009, upgraded the building's infrastructure and created state-of-the-art instructional space while preserving Hargreaves' historical character. The revitalized Hargreaves Reading Room is decorated in library style with large arching windows and pays homage to the building's history as the University's library.
For the complete history of the building, visit Cheney's history page here.
Huston Hall was constructed in 1915 and was remodeled in 1984. It was renamed after former English professor and benefactor Frances B. Huston in 2006. It is currently used for instruction and also provides office space for Information Technology Support staff. This versatile building has previously been known as the Manual Arts Building (1915-1932), Industrial Arts Building (1932-1969), Maintenance Shop (1969-1981), and Computer Science Building (1984-2006).
The American Indian Education Center, also known as the "Longhouse," is located on the EWU campus at the Indian Education Center, on the corner of Fifth and C streets in Cheney. It uses a building that was previously a church. This building has a study area with available computers; and space for meetings, activities, and socializing. Established in 1965, the American Indian Studies Program (AISP) services the needs of Native American Students interested in obtaining an undergraduate or graduate degree from Eastern Washington University. Through the support of the AISP, EWU has educated many of today's educators, healthcare providers, social workers, business executives, tribal leaders, planners, writers, artists, et cetera, who have chosen to return to their communities to practice their professions.
This multi-purpose facility is named in honor of the great American Olympian and professional athlete in baseball and football, Jim Thorpe. The fieldhouse is the fourth phase of the Sports and Recreation Center and was completed in 1976. This 42,000 square foot structure has a 200-meter rubberized running track, five tennis courts (which can convert to four basketball courts), and three glass walled racquetball courts. Eagle tennis and track teams train and compete regularly in the Fieldhouse during the winter months.
The John F. Kennedy Library was finished in 1968 and was expanded and remodeled in 1998. It has more than a million books, periodicals, and microfilm collections.The library has:
Kingston hall was completed in 1971 and houses the Business & Public Administration and Math Departments, as well as several classrooms. It was named for Dr. Ceylon S. Kingston, who taught at Eastern from 1901-1940 and served as acting president 3 separate times.
Martin Hall was built in 1937 and named in honor of Clarence D. Martin, Eastern graduate and then governor of Washington state. Along with Williamson Hall, it houses the departments of Education and Counseling, as well as Educational and Developmental Psychology.
Monroe Hall is one of Eastern's oldest buildings, constructed in 1915. In 2000, the building was renovated. Used as a women's dormitory from its construction until the 1960s, Monroe Hall has been used for office space since it was removed from the dormitory pool. During the 1970s and 1980s Women's Studies, African American Studies, and Chicano Studies programs all were assigned office space in the building. These programs remain in the remodeled Monroe Hall, along with the University Graphics functions of Instructional Resources.
For the complete history of the building, visit Cheney's history page here.
The Music building was completed in 1970 and contains the Music Department. The building has modern facilities such as a piano laboratory with 22 units, 32 practice rooms, electronic music laboratory, a technically enhanced classroom and an extensive collection of recordings, scores and music reference materials located in the JFK Library. In addition, the department houses music classrooms, two large rehearsal rooms (vocal and instrumental) and a 250-seat capacity recital hall. The renovated Showalter Hall serves as an additional performance venue.
Patterson Hall was finished in 1970 and contained various classrooms and offices. It was named after Don Patterson, EWU president from 1954 -1967. It is currently under renovation and is expected to be completed in 2014.
The Pence Union Building (PUB) was built in 1970 with a major addition added in 1995. The building was named for Omer O. Pence, an EWU grad and faculty member. The Pence Union Building serves as the community center for Eastern Washington University. It provides the student-centered facilities and services required by the university community. Dining Services has four operations in the PUB: Baldy's Food Court, Eagle Espresso Company and Freshëns Smoothie Bar, The Eagle Shop convenience store, and Swoop's Sandwich Shop. The building also contains the campus bookstore, a bus stop for Spokane transit, computer labs, student lounges and meeting rooms.
In 1971 the P.E. Activities Building (PHASE) was completed. It is the second phase of the Sports and Recreation Center. This portion of the structure was designated to house the bulk of the physical education and recreation areas, two activity gymnasiums, one gymnastics area, one wrestling room, one conditioning room, nine racquetball courts, one squash court, a climbing rock, a dance studio, and locker room areas with saunas for both men and women.
The P.E. Classroom Building is the first phase of the Sports and Recreation Center and was finished in 1971. It consists of the physical education, recreation and athletic offices, and classrooms. This classroom building is used for physical education and recreation academic programs. On the second level it also houses the offices for athletic department personnel and physical education instructors.
The Radio-TV (RTV) building was built in 1971 and is part of the fine arts complex. It contains a checkout facility for high-definition and one and three chip digital cameras, microphones, lighting and production support tools, ten non-linear editing stations, including stations for surround sound and DVD production, a fully equipped TV studio, 2 state-of-the-art screening rooms seating 50 and 30 people, and radio station KEWU, one of the most highly rated jazz stations in the country.
The Red Barn was built in 1884, when the area was still used for farmland. In 1974, classes in sustainability began there, where students learned organic gardening, spinning and weaving, dyeing, direct current electricity, wind power, natural medicines, history of the American west, quilt making, food preservation, bee keeping, healthy diet or edible wild plants. A course in wind power built a wind generator behind the barn, and on July 4, 1976, an American flag hung over the front of the building, which was lighted up with wind power. The present Cheney Recycling Center also got its start at the Red Barn. In 1979, the barn was renovated and assumed its current use, housing the campus police and safety offices as well as parking services.
Robert Reid Lab School was built in 1959, allowing the space for more college classes to be taught in nearby Martin Hall. It helped to strengthen Eastern's reputation as a premier teaching school. It features observation rooms where aspiring teachers could observe children in the classrooms. In 1985, it began to function jointly between EWU and the Cheney School District. The school was closed in 2009, and it has since served as office space for many of those relocated by the Patterson Hall renovation.
Eastern's football stadium and track, Roos Field (formerly Woodward Field), was built in 1967. Prior to that, the field was located in the area where JFK Library now sits. The field underwent a renovation in 2004, receiving a new press box and upping the seating capacity from 7,500 to around 8,600.
In 2010, EWU alum Michel Roos pledged $500,000 to help Eastern replace the natural turf with a red, artificial turf. The red artificial field was the first of its kind, not just in NCAA Division I football, but in the entire country.
The science building was built in 1962, with renovations and additions completed in 1990. It houses many of the science departments, such as biology, chemistry, geology, natural and environmental science, and physics. It contains a greenhouse, planetarium and electron microscope as well as numerous labs built for each department's needs.
Senior hall was built in 1920 and originally served as a women's dormitory. It is one of Eastern's oldest buildings and is on the National Register of Historical Places. In 1971 the dormitory was closed and the building was used as office space. It received a renovation in 2006. It currently houses the social work, aging and disability studies departments.
For the complete history of the building, visit Cheney's history page here.
Showalter Hall is Eastern's oldest building, completed in 1915. It was named after Eastern's first president, Noah D. Showalter. When it was constructed, it contained almost every function of the school, including classrooms, an auditorium, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, chemistry and photography labs, and later, a bowling alley. The building has been used for administrative offices for many years now with the exception of the auditorium and a large lecture hall constructed where the gym used to be.
Showalter is the third building to be built on the site, after the Benjamin P. Cheney academy and the Cheney Normal School burned down there in 1891 and 1912, respectively. The two large stone pillars in front of Showalter Hall were constructed with salvaged stones from the old Cheney Normal School.
For the complete history of Showalter Hall, visit Cheney's history page here.
In 1975 the third phase of the Sports and Recreation Center was completed. The Special Events Pavilion was originally designed to hold nearly 10,000 people. However, political pressure from Spokane, which did not want a rival to the Spokane Coliseum, persuaded Eastern to modify the seating capacity to five thousand. The Special Events Pavilion was named for legendary coach William B. "Red" Reese and is now referred to as Reese Court.
Reese court has been home to the Eagle basketball and volleyball teams since the 1975-76 season. Other regularly scheduled events in the facility include graduation ceremonies, concerts, state B volleyball championships, high school regional basketball playoffs, indoor soccer tournaments, Science Olympiad competitions, the Killin fundraising dinner (conclusion of spring football practice), gymnastics and basketball classes, and summer basketball camps.
Sutton Hall was completed in 1923 and was the first men's dormitory on campus. It was named after Senator W. J. Sutton, a longtime friend and previous president of the college. In the 1970s, Sutton Hall was used as a residence for armed services veterans, many of whom had recently returned from the conflict in Vietnam. Around 1978 it ceased operation as a dormitory and a few years later the interior was dismantled and removed in anticipation of remodeling that was completed in 2001.
For the complete history of Sutton Hall, visit Cheney's history page here.
Tawanka commons opened in 1964 and gave the university a central dining facility. It was named in honor of the Tawanka Women's organization, an integral part of Eastern between 1926 and 1960, their name being derived from an Indian phrase meaning "to help." It operated until 1995, when dining facilities moved to the newly remodeled PUB. Dining service resumed following a 2003 renovation. It contains Main Street Dining, serving sandwiches, salads, and providing all-you-can-eat options. It also has the Tawanka Beverage, Bakery, and Bistro café, serving espresso beverages, fresh bakery products and custom-blended smoothies and ice cream treats. The building also contains the EagleCard and Parking Services offices.
The theatre building was completed along with the art building in 1971 and is on the west edge of the fine arts complex. It contains a full scale theatre, classrooms, as well as costume and practice facilities. The theatre department puts on several plays each year, ranging from classical to modern to musicals.
In 1927 the Normal School's Board of Trustees approved the construction of a residence for the institution's President. The result was a moderately sized Georgian Colonial house, built by E. J. Morin and Co. and completed in the fall of 1929. In 1946 the Lundberg Construction Company built a two-car garage, with attached outdoor fireplace, behind the residence. Between 1987 and 1998 the house was used as a faculty club, and as a special event site which could be chartered for special occasions. President Stephen Jordan moved back into the President's House in the summer of 1998, returning the building to its historic function.
For more information about University House, visit Cheney's history page here.
The University Recreation Center was opened in 2008. Its facilities include a fitness facility, indoor running track, gymnasium, ice rink and climbing wall. It also contains The Roost, a restaurant with a state-of-the-art display cooking open air kitchen.
The Washington State Digital Archives Building opened on the EWU campus in 2004. It is the nation's first archives dedicated specifically to the preservation of electronic records from both State and Local agencies that have permanent legal, fiscal or historical value. Facilities include a state of the art research room, complete with computer research stations, a high tech presentation classroom and a world-class data center.
For more information, please visit the Washington State Digital Archives website here.
The Washington State Patrol built a new crime laboratory on the EWU campus in 2004. The lab serves all of Washington state east of the Cascade Mountains and has training and teaching facilities. This provides a unique opportunity for collaboration, research and integration with a working crime laboratory. For instruction information, visit the Forensic Chemistry degree option page.
Williamson Hall was built in 1967 as an addition to Martin Hall. Originally called "Martin Addition," it's name was changed in 1979 to honor Dr. Obed J. Williamson, who had been Chairman of the Education Department in the 1930's and 1940's. It continues to house the departments of education and children's studies.
View the original version of this page.