Welcome to EWU Graduate Studies. We offer affordable graduate programs from the addiction studies to urban planning.
Apply by going directly to the online application, however, you should familiarize yourself with the specific program requirements before submitting your application.
Alert: Classes Cancelled 1/18 - Both Cheney/EWU Spokane Campuses due to weather conditions. This message is for EWU.more
For nearly 30 years, Eastern has welcomed international students to our beautiful main campus in Cheney, Washington, just 17 miles from Spokane, a metropolitan area of over 400,000 inhabitants. Spokane is the location of several of EWU's graduate programs, including those in business administration, public administration, urban and regional planning, communications, counseling, creative writing and the health science programs in communication disorders, occupational therapy and physical therapy.
1. Submit an online graduate application for admission and an international supplemental application. The international supplemental form is located on our Application Procedures page. Applicants should begin the application process at least six months before the term during which they wish to enroll. Graduate Studies application deadlines for each term are: May 15th for Fall Quarter; October 15th for Winter Quarter; January 15th for Spring Quarter and March 15th for Summer Quarter. Please check program-specific deadlines, which may be earlier, superseding the Graduate Studies deadlines.
2. Submit one official transcript from each college or university that you have attended to EWU Graduate Studies, 206 Showalter Hall, Cheney, WA 99004-2444. Applicants who have already had their credentials evaluated by WES must have an official copy of that evaluation sent to EWU Graduate Studies, and they must also provide copies of their university transcripts.
3. Submit an official course-by-course evaluation of transcripts through World Education Services (WES) or another credential evaluation service recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A list of agencies can be found at www.naces.org. The credential evaluation service must provide a chronological list of course work. Graduates of accredited US universities are not required to submit a credential evaluation.
4. Submit any supplemental materials required by the particular program, including official test scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Supplemental requirements for each program are found on their respective pages in Graduate Degrees or Graduate Certificates. GRE or GMAT scores are not necessary at the time of application, but if required, scores must be submitted before applicants may be formally admitted. For example, to apply for fall admission, applicants may submit all other application materials in February or March, and then submit test scores, if required, by early September.
5. Submit an official English proficiency test score from TOEFL, IELT or PTE Academic directly to EWU Graduate Studies. Full admission scores are:
Applicants with a bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. university are not required to submit English language test scores.
Otherwise admissible applicants with a TOEFL score of 79-91 iBT or 550-579 PBT, a PTE Academic score of 53-62 or an IELTS score of 6.5 may be admitted provisionally, upon recommendation of the academic program and upon having a program of English language study approved by the director of the English as a Second Language Program in the EWU English Department. These students may be fully admitted in a subsequent term upon submission of a qualifying English language test score as listed above or upon recommendation of the director of the English as a Second Language Program.
Otherwise admissible applicants with a TOEFL score of 71-78 iBT or 525-549 PBT, a PTE Academic score of 48-52 or an IELTS score of 6.0 may enter the graduate preparation program (grad prep) offered by the EWU English Language Institute (ELI), consisting of ELI language courses and content courses specified by the academic program. Graduate preparation requires a minimum of two quarters to complete. Applicants with scores below those listed in the paragraph above must enroll in ELI, then in graduate preparation.
Students admitted provisionally or those pursuing the graduate preparation program may include in their graduate program after full admission up to 12 credits of graduate-level course work completed before admission and not used toward an undergraduate degree, with the approval of their academic program.
6. Submit official documentary evidence in the form of an original bank or financial statement along with any necessary original letters of financial support to verify your ability to fund 12 months of study at Eastern, currently $36,000. This figure covers tuition as well as estimated room, board and miscellaneous expenses. English translations of all documents are required.
7. Submit a photocopy of the identification page of your passport with your application directly to the Graduate Studies Office.
If interested, please review EWU's alternative to submitting test scores to meet the English language proficiency admission requirement.
Please also review additional information on I-20s.
Please contact our office by email or phone if any further information is required.
View the desktop version of this page.