The EWU MPH program accepts applications on a rolling basis up until the start of a new academic term. The EWU MPH program will review completed applications and notify students of their admission status approximately 2-4 weeks upon submission. To ensure an optimal amount of time for students to be admitted and registered for classes comfortably before the start of the semester, the MPH program recommends the following priority application deadlines:
- July 15 - Fall Semester
- November 25 - Spring Semester
For details about academic term dates, you may view EWU's full semester academic calendar here.
1. Minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 90 quarter or 60 semester credits of post-secondary coursework (for possible exceptions, see "Admission Based on Work Experience" below)
2. A current résumé
3. Three short career plan essays answering the following questions (2000-character limit per question):
- What does public health mean to you?
- What have you done that shows public health service is an important part of your life?
- Why would you like to pursue or further develop a service career in public, non-profit, or health services administration with a public health emphasis?
4. Contact information for 3 professional or academic references willing to provide letters of recommendation
5. Basic Statistics class or equivalent in current job duties
- Applicants must have a documented, recent statistics or biostatistics course to include basic probability concepts, organizing and summarizing data, sampling distributions, hypothesis testing, simple linear regression and correlation and analysis of variance. Possible EWU undergraduate courses that would fulfill this requirement include MATH 380, CSBS 320, or DSCI 245.
6. Technical/Scientific writing course at the 300/400 level
- Students with proof of possession of another valid master's degree may waive the scientific/technical writing requirement. All further application requirements remain the same.
7. Complete EWU's Graduate Programs application form. The EWU Graduate Programs Office collects a $50 application fee.
Additional Optional Items:
1. Graduate Service Appointment Application
2. Proof of a healthcare credential if it is possessed
Based on the criteria described above:
- students are admitted upon the recommendation of the MPH program faculty
- the MPH program's recommendation will be sent to EWU Graduate Programs
- Graduate Programs will then notify the student, in writing, of his/her admission decision
Admission Based on Work Experience
Applicants whose GPA is less than 3.0 and who have at least 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public health may also be offered regular admission.
Admission is based on the following:
- Evidence of having obtained a bachelor's degree from an appropriately accredited institution
- An essay demonstrating critical thinking skills
- A statement of intent demonstrating a level of knowledge and intellectual maturity appropriate to the proposed field of graduate study
- Evidence of professional success in Public Health
- International students must provide evidence of adequate proficiency in the English language before being admitted to the MPH program. This requirement may be satisfied by presenting a TOEFL score of 580 (237 CBT, 92 IBT, 63 PTE Academic score, or 7.0 IELTS score) or its equivalent.
- Students should be aware of the EWU regulation on "Previous Graduate Credit," which permits no more than 12 pre-admission credits to be counted toward a graduate degree.
- The MPH program will determine whether they should be granted admission to the program based in part upon their work as post-baccalaureate students.
- For full graduate admission requirements for international students, visit the EWU Graduate Programs website.