The mission of the Master of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene program is to educate and graduate dental hygienists who are technically, intellectually and ethically prepared for the upcoming challenges facing the dental profession. We are committed to excellence in dental hygiene education. Our purpose is to develop a program that encourages the development and use of critical thinking skills, the desire to participate in and contribute to lifelong learning and translational research opportunities, the ability to be community leaders and outstanding citizens, and the skills to be health care professionals who can provide comprehensive care to diverse population groups in a variety of settings.
This program will strive to create in each hygienist the perpetual self-learning capacity to live up to one's full potential and to contribute to making our community and our world, a better place to live.
To graduate educationally-competent, culturally-sensitive, and ethically-sound dental hygienists, who will promote oral and general health and wellness to the public and other health care practitioners.
- To provide a quality educational program that meets the needs of the students, is sensitive to the changing needs of dentistry and follows the guidelines of the educational community.
- To graduate dental hygienists who are able to initiate and assume responsibility for health promotion and disease prevention activities for diverse populations in a variety of settings, and who appreciate multidisciplinary team function.
- To graduate dental hygienists who possess transferable skills in communication, problem solving, and critical thinking, in order to encourage and take advantage of opportunities for professional growth and development in themselves, their profession and others.
- To offer a master degree program that is sufficient enough in scope and depth to provide graduates with a high-quality professional education, that fosters their ability to adapt to the future, to provide leadership in dental hygiene, to practice as an ADHP (if the opportunity exists), and to accept the challenge of doctorate-level education.
- To enhance dental hygiene's body of evidence through support of faculty translational research programs that contribute to the art of science of dental hygiene, to dental hygiene practice and the improvement of oral health delivery systems.
The philosophy of the MSDH program is one of commitment to the education and development of oral health professionals who go beyond academic excellence, who are productive, self-sufficient citizens of society, who are responsive to the global community, and who maintain high ethical standards in their personal and professional lives. In order to achieve these goals, our faculty demands of themselves excellence in academic endeavors, continuous education in teaching theory, knowledge of scientific advancements in dental care and advanced clinical skills. Our goal is to produce graduates who are prepared to meet the current and future health care demands of today's challenging health care system.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Be technically, intellectually and ethically prepared for the upcoming challenges facing the dental profession.
- Possess critical thinking skills that help them to be community leaders and outstanding citizens.
- Possess skills needed to be health care professionals who can provide comprehensive care to diverse population groups in a variety of settings.
- Have the perpetual self-learning capacity to live up to their full potential and to contribute to making our community, our profession and our world a better place to live.
What will I study?
Please see our Curriculum page