Skip to content

Additional information on the Master of Urban and Regional Planning program


The Urban Planning programs offer both undergraduate and graduate degrees in urban and regional planning. Both degree programs are professionally accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board.

Top Navigation

Main Navigation

  • EWU Home
  • CBPA Home
  • Programs of Study
  • Urban & Regional Planning (MURP & BA)
  • Additional information on the Master of Urban and Regional Planning program
  • Main Content


    Before the first registration, students should consult the department's graduate advisor for assistance in planning courses for the first quarter. The graduate advisor has responsibility for guiding the student until the student has selected a graduate committee. Once the committee has been selected, the chair of the committee provides guidance for the student.

    To complete this degree in two years, students must take at least 12 credits per quarter. The load for a full-time graduate student is 12 to 16 hours per quarter. An additional charge will be assessed for credits in excess of 18. Students enrolling for 17 credits or more must have written approval from the graduate advisor or chair of their graduate committee plus the department chair and the Dean of the College of Business and Public Administration.

    Enrollment Requirements

    Students admitted to the Master of Urban and Regional Planning Program must maintain continuous enrollment from the first matriculation until all requirements for the degree are completed.

    Enrollment may be met in one of the following categories:

    1. Full-time enrollment of 10 credits or more;
    2. Part-time enrollment of less than 10 credits;
    3. In absentia enrollment;

    Graduate students are considered to be actively pursuing a degree from the first enrollment in the graduate planning program until graduation or until the limits described in this catalog have expired. Under unusual circumstances, a student may petition for a leave of absence. If the petition is granted, the registration requirement will be set aside during that period of leave. Leaves will be granted only under conditions that require the suspension of all activities associated with the student's degree program, including the research project. The leave of absence  shall be for no more than one year. A written request for leave of absence shall be submitted to the student's committee for approval. The recommendation shall be forwarded to the Graduate Studies Office.


    Contact Information

    Urban and Regional Planning, Graduate Program
    668 N. Riverpoint Blvd, Suite A
    Spokane, WA 99202

    phone: 509.828.1216
    fax: 509.828.1275

    Footer Navigation

    Text Only Options

    View the desktop version of this page.