We offer a Master of Science Degree with specializations in:
- Exercise Science
- Sports and Recreation Administration
Prospective students should hold a baccalaureate degree in a related field from an accredited institution.
EXERCISE SCIENCE requires:
- Anatomical or Physiological Kinesiology series with a grade > 3.0;
- Statistics (300 or 400 level) course with a grade > 3.0;
- Anatomy and Physiology series;
- Recommend a course in Mechanical Kinesiology or Physics.
SPORTS AND RECREATION ADMINISTRATION requires:
- Statistics (300 or 400 level) course with a grade > 3.0
The MS program provides an opportunity for students to focus on one of two areas of specialization: exercise science, and sports and recreation administration. All students are required to take a basic core of courses and select a specialization area. A thesis is required of exercise science students. Students in administration may choose to complete a thesis, research report, or comprehensive examination.
NOTE: This masters degree does NOT lead to a teaching certificate for K-12. For more information on teaching in the public schools, please contact the Education Department.
GRE scores are NOT REQUIRED. Applicants for admission to the graduate program in physical education must follow the EWU Graduate School admission procedures. Application is due by February 1.
- STATISTICS: Students must complete a statistics or biostatistics course in order to continue past the first quarter of the program. You will need to indicate at which university you completed this course and when it was completed. If you have not yet completed this course, please indicate when and where you plan to complete the course.
- REFERENCE REVIEW: Students must submit three names and email addresses for their references.
- RESEARCH EXPERIENCE: Students must complete a statement outlining experiences in research, as well as potential areas of research interest. Only 1000 characters will be provided to the department for evaluation.
Students are admitted for fall quarter only; requests for admittance in other academic quarters are discouraged.
Forms / Links:
PEHR Graduate Assistantship Application
Announcement of Thesis/Project Proposal
Announcement of Oral Defense
EWU Graduate School Home Page
What will I study?
MS in PE Course Requirements
Emphases / Concentrations:
- investigate ideas and complete professional tasks as a member of a team
- demonstrate familiarity with the scholarly publications, primary written works, professional organizations and certification/licensure requirements of their specialization
- discuss advanced topics in their area of specialization with an appropriate level of knowledge and application of critical thinking
- design, conduct and report scholarly work
What could I do with my degree?
- The Master of Science degree in physical education prepares students for a diverse array of careers in areas including athletic administration, teaching and coaching, directing fitness facilities and programs in a variety of settings, and sport psychology consultation with athletic teams.
- Applicable to those students interested in pursuing advanced graduate studies in related areas.