Skip to content

Cheney Normal School Heritage Center

Abstract

The Cheney Normal School Heritage Center symbolizes Eastern's historical significance as a teacher preparation institute.

Top Navigation

Main Navigation

  • EWU Home
  • CALE Home
  • Programs of Study
  • Education
  • Cheney Normal School Heritage Center
  • Main Content

    Tours | HistoryPhotos | The Happy School Children's Book

    Mission Statement

    Click for more photos

    The Cheney Normal School Heritage Center is a living museum that celebrates Eastern Washington University’s heritage as a teacher preparation institution. The museum is open for educational tours to schoolchildren and to the public. In addition to providing a place for visitors to relive the one-room schoolhouse experience, the building serves as:

    Tours

    Tours and historical educational presentations  are available to schoolchildren and to the public. The schoolhouse may be booked for a class or club meeting.

    To make an appointment, please contact:

    Katie Higgins
    Cheney Normal School Heritage Center
    Phone: 509.359.6193
    Email: khiggins@ewu.edu

    History

    The Cheney Normal School Heritage Center was originally known as the Jore (pronounced like jury) Schoolhouse. It opened for classes five miles west of Newport, Washington in 1905 and stayed open for 24 years, until 1929. During that time, it served as the school for all the Jore children as well as the children in the surrounding area. At least one student, Ivan Troyer, traveled 5 miles by horseback to attend.

    During its time as a functioning one-room school, it had separate boys and girls entrances, a two-seat outhouse, and a horse stable. The school also had a galvanized roof and a concrete foundation, which helped it to survive all this time relatively intact.

    The building symbolizes Eastern's historical significance as a teacher preparation institute - many of the early graduates would have taught in a school like this. The building also provides a venue for seminars and presentations related to the history and development of education in the Inland Empire and the Pacific Northwest, a center for local and regional oral history where students, teachers, scholars, and community members can share, record, and preserve traditions, stories and records of the past, as well as a permanent setting to house and display historical one-room schoolhouse artifacts.

    Contact Information

    Education Department
    312 Williamson Hall
    Cheney, WA 99004

    phone: 509.359.2232
    fax: 509.359.2899

    Footer Navigation


    Text Only Options

    View the original version of this page.