EWU Ronald E. McNair Program provides a limited number of one-year research assistantships for McNair Scholars, who are entering a Master program with the intent to complete a PhD. Created to help students who have successfully completed the McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program as undergraduates, the assistantship is open to McNair scholars in good standing. The assistantship is intended to increase enrollment in PhD programs, students and programs should demonstrate this trajectory in application.
You may be eligible for the McNair Graduate Assistantship, if you:
1. Are a McNair Scholar (From any Ronald E. McNair Program around the nation)?
2. Are admitted into an EWU graduate program.
3. Are nominated by an Eastern Washington University Professor.
To apply, please complete the following:
1. Complete an application for Graduate Service Appointment
2. Nomination form by the EWU Professor/Department: Please see attached form.
3. Letter of support from EWU Professor/Department addressing eligibility requirements, a Graduate Assistant Job Description and the academic degree planner/trajectory to complete a master and apply for PhD.
*Remember some programs or departments may not know the procedures of this assistantship, please make them aware.
4. Student cover letter:
a. Explaining what was your most significant contribution to the McNair program.
b. Describing how you would like to participate on the McNair scholar program's activities and events and how your role as a McNair graduate school scholar would influence the current undergraduates McNair students.
c. Academic degree planner/trajectory to complete a master and apply for PhD.
The following information must be sent to: Dr. Christina Torres García, Ronald E. McNair Director, Monroe 107, Cheney, WA 99004. Graduate Students are admitted for the fall quarter only and must be enrolled full time throughout the academic year.
For more info call Dr. Christina Torres Garcia at 503-359-2471.
phone: 509.359.6200 (campus operator)
View the desktop version of this page.