CHENEY, Wash. - Inspired by the national movement that has risen out of the Newtown, Conn. shooting, Eastern Washington University's Office of Community Engagement (OCE) is launching the EWU 26 Days of Kindness Initiative.
The 26 Acts of Kindness quickly evolved as people around the country wanted to find ways to commemorate the lives lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The EWU project involves the university community and alumni, who are planning at least one act of kindness during a 26 day period. So far, more than 40 acts of kindness are planned and more than 250 students, faculty, staff and alumni are participating. EWU hopes these numbers will quadruple by the end of the 26 days.
The initiative will be rolled out on Feb. 14, as a way of demonstrating EWU's "love and support" to the Newtown community.
"Eastern feels it is important to respond to the Newtown tragedy by building community, creating meaningful dialogue and taking a moment to share an act of kindness with friends and strangers," said Molly Ayers, the director of Community Engagement at EWU. "College campuses have long been a place to advocate for social change, and that's why we encourage everyone to chip in with a large or small act of kindness."
Among the acts of kindness planned over the next month:
• The Happiness Project - Starts with speaker John de Graaf on the Happiness Initiative and Survey, Feb. 14
• The Provost's Office will collect 26 pairs of gloves and socks for the Cheney community
• Riverpoint Campus food drive for 2nd Harvest
• EWU's Accounting/Finance Club will provide volunteer income tax filing assistance
• Hand out snacks to Riverpoint Campus students during Student Appreciation Week
• St. Jude Children's Research Hospital fundraiser event with food and events
• Post positive messages around campus
• Collect stuffed animals for the Salvation Army's Sally's House
• Provide help for household needs drive for Mission Community Outreach
• Make up drive for Project Beauty Share
• Student group will sponsor a Mental Health Awareness day
Follow the activity on Facebook at www.facebook.com/EWUCommunityEngagement or visit the event calendar at www.ewu.edu/about/community-engagement/26-days-of-kindness.
For questions, please contact Molly Ayers, EWU's director of Community Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509.359.2792
View the desktop version of this page.